Saturday 4 June 2011

Do retail stores have to sell items for the price on the price tag?

I found a suit that had a $10 price tag on it, obviously a mistake, but when I went to buy it, they wouldn%26#039;t sell it to me for that price. They said it was actually $300 and someone probably changed the tags. Are they supposed to sell it to me for the price on the tag or are there ways that they can work around it? What can I say if they refuse to sell it in order to get them to give me the discount?|||No, they don%26#039;t. If they did think of how much trouble they would get into with people just changing the tag themselves and taking it to the counter. They could be out that $290.00 multiple times and easily go broke from that stuff. They do have to honor ADVERTISED prices unless they post a retraction. That, however, is different from the tag because they have control over that and it would be false advertising if they told you one price to get you in the store then said, oh sorry that was a mistake. That is against the law.


Major exception, I know you are asking about clothing. What I said her does not apply to alcohol or tobacco, which is so strictly regulated that they cannot sell it below cost NO MATTER WHAT.