Saturday 4 June 2011

Price tags sets off alarm?

I got into an argument with my friend the other day after the alarm went of on someone in the library while we were in there doing a project. I told him that the books had a magnet that sets off the alarm. He told me that the security thing was a metal detector which made me burst out laughing. So we went to a computer to search online so I could prove to him that I was right and it came up with this website.





http://www.howstuffworks.com/anti-shopli...





On the website it talks about the magnetic sensors so I was right. But it also takes about disposible tags like price tags on clothes and such. Do these tags with the bar codes really set off sensors. My friend changed his argument saying the books barcode sets it off because you can%26#039;t see the magnet in the book. I think they are in the spine or something but i must be correct right? I want to ask the librarian but she probably things im planning to steal a book.|||Yes, (bar code not price tag) for those stores that are so equipped. Not all stores have the detector which sets off an alarm.|||I don%26#039;t know what they use...but your friend is one dull blade.|||In many library books you will find a %26#039;spiderweb%26#039; looking spiral under a sticky label...it%26#039;s a passive reflector.





Other systems do use a magnetic strip - see the link.