Wednesday 21 September 2011

Kimber or Glock...Which Makes The Best Handgun?

Today I worked at my gunstore selling guns to customers. A young man who had just turned 21 walked in and wanted to purchase his first handgun. I asked him %26quot;What gun would you like%26quot;. He said %26quot;Glock%26quot;. I walked along with him to the Handguns section and I showed him the Glocks and Springfield XDM's we had. Another man was watching us and he told the young man to get a Kimber because it was the best gun in the world and to forget about that trash plastic toy called the %26quot;Glock%26quot;. The young man just wanted reliability, economical pricing, durability, and ease of use in his first handgun. The young man then asked me if I could show him the Kimbers and I did. He liked the Kimber 1911's but as soon as he saw the price tag, he quickly changed his mind and asked to go back to the Glocks. He went home with a Glock 21, 2 boxes of Golden Saber .45 ACP ammo in a bag, and a smile on his face.



Who makes the best handgun? Kimber or Glock? Which would you choose?



I Work At Collector's Firearms In Texas:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/
Kimber or Glock...Which Makes The Best Handgun?
I'd go with the Glock. I want reliability under the worst of conditions.
Kimber or Glock...Which Makes The Best Handgun?
IF you are carrying for protection forget KIMBERs, Glocks are far more reliable, but not pretty.

I know no failure glocks with 100k Rnds down range and not even cleaned. Kimber chg springs every 500-800 rnd in manual. S%26amp;W MP series is a hot item. good choice for IDPA

Report Abuse


It's like the old saying goes,



%26quot;Kimber is what you show your friends.....Glock is what you show your enemies.%26quot;
Gosh, I don't know........those two would probably be my last picks out of 20 choices.



Out of the two...I may have to choose the Glock. Only because of the price and the weight.
Glock is my choice.
Kimber.







If I sold the Kimber, I could buy two used stainless Redhawks...





And then you kids and your tupperware would be double fu*ked when I come out with a brace of Redhawks!!!
I would get the Kimber.
Kimber, easy.
glocks are arguably the most reliable handgun in the world. while kimbers are pretty and well made glocks perform as well as any kimber and they are half the price. a glock will fire underwater in mud and even if your bury it in the ground for 3 months dig it up and immediately start capping off rounds with no malfunctions. i haven't seen any kimbers do that.
Between those two, if budget was not an issue it would be an easy call for Kimber no contest.



This really is a personal preference question, both have stellar reputations for reliability, but it's really apples to oranges. The all time classic design, made of steel, low cap single action, vs a modern classic, first successful polymer frame, high cap double action (ok only technically DA, not a true one).



Most of my firearm tastes run along the more classic lines, and the 1911 is one of the few autoloaders to grace my collection of primarily revolvers. They feel great in my hands, and very much prefer a SA handgun of any type, mostly due to the much improved trigger pull.



I'm not going to fault anyone for choosing a Glock, they're great guns that are priced right. the only fault I can find with them is they're quite ugly, which is by no means a dealbreaker, and purely a personal opinion.
Gun preference is a matter of personal preference and is not based entirely on performance. Most of the handguns sold by the major manufacturers are quality products, which have been tested for accuracy, reliability, durability, and safety under conditions varying from what you would encounter on a day to day basis to the most adverse that you can imagine. The most common reason that a quality handgun would fail is the user.



For an inexperienced handgunner who is going to put the gun in a drawer and leave it there until he needs it to save his own hide, the Glock is hands down a better choice.



For a serious shooter who burns up a couple hundred rounds or more per week on the range and wants to shoot the tightest possible groups as quickly as possible, the Kimber is far superior.



For anything in between, take your pick.



EDIT: Oh, sorry which would I choose. I like the look and feel of steel and would spend as much time as possible shooting anything. Kimber, without a doubt, but would not be at all troubled by having to %26quot;settle%26quot; for a Glock.
I'm going to go with GLOCK for versatility, reliability, durability and price. I know Kimbers get a good rep but I've had nothing but trouble with them. The price you pay for a Kimber is just insane for what you actually get. You'd think an $1100 pistol wouldn't be so prone to failures/parts breaking. Meh, maybe I just got a couple (three or four) lemons.



GLOCK on the other hand... In my life I've only experience one problem with a GLOCK: an old G22 2nd gen that hadn't been cleaned in a month that stovepiped once after a couple hundred rounds of sh*tty range reloads.
Kimber.
In an absolute sense, it would no doubt be the Kimber simply from a quality point of view. There are lots of pistols that can match the Glock, strength for strength, but very few that can match the craftsmanship of the Kimber. And the price tag reflects this.



Your customer sounds like a lot of people: the only pistol brand of which they are aware is Glock. Glock makes a good pistol, to be sure but I am glad you also showed the customer the XDm. However, those are two very similar guns. When you saw he liked the Kimber, but didn't like the price, you could have suggested a couple of other brands, like Smith %26amp; Wesson, Beretta or FN. For that matter, you might have shown him less expensive M1911 clones.



I have sold guns before and my goal was always to sell the gun that best-suited the customer's desires and realistic needs. I always figured my job was to help the customer determine what those needs are. For a first gun, I would never suggest a .45, especially in a polymer pistol, to someone who had never fired a handgun before. I wouldn't recommend a Ruger LCP or Smith %26amp; Wesson Airweight for the same reason: firing them is unpleasant which will work against the investment of time and ammunition needed to become proficient.
Kimber custom TLE II, If LAPD SWAT uses it is their any ??
Please, are you seriously trying to compare a Kimber 1911 to a ****** Glock? There's a price difference for a reason. I wouldn't have one of those ugly little plastic turds if my life depended on it. A Springfield XDM maybe, but not a ****** Glock.
Kimber is by far the best made. I would pay double the price for a Kimber before I'd pay sticker price on the Glock.(ok, maybe not) In that situation though, it was a little unfair for them to point him at the Kimbers. At that age, most kids can't afford a Kimber and the old man should know that, especially if he had already voiced concerns about pricing. I would have gone to the Sigs and worked down from there. That's kind of like showing a new Escalade to somebody that's looking for a used Tahoe.
Best is what is best for the individual, depending on his needs.
Kimber hands down.
Without price being a concern, I would choose a Kimber M-1911 clone chambered for .45 ACP.



I think Glocks are uninteresting bricks of polymer and don't like their lack of a manual safety.

Could I use one? Sure.



Neither Kimber or Glock are my first choice when shopping for a handgun.
George...Glock doesn't even make the best polymer pistol out there.



Give me the Kimber.



Apples to oranges...
Personally I would take the Glock over the Kimber. While I like 1911s and all, I want a duty pistol that could make it to hell and back and I know sorry to say I don't trust a 1911 enough to carry as my duty gun (be it a Kimber or not, I have seen plenty of videos of people shooting kimbers and them jamming and choking up and FTF, etc) but out of my Glocks I have owned (one was sold to a friend, than I got my G19 now going for a G23) the G19 has over 500 rounds through it and my old Glock 21 that I sold was about the same # and never once failure to fire.



Sure I wouldn't mind a 1911 because they are nice guns and the craftsmanship put into them is VERY nice, but a nice looking gun ain't going to save my life if it don't go boom and kill the bad guy trying to kill me. I know any Glock I have ever used if I had to shoot someone it would work. I mean it all comes down to personal preference you know and I know what's gonna perform and work for me, and I know others say different so let it be I guess.