Saturday 24 September 2011

Britax Advocate--anyone have one?

My baby girl is currently 16 lbs 8 oz and 27 inches at 9 months old, so she is still well within the height/weight requirements of her infant seat. However, she is starting to fight, cry, and struggle every time I put her in her infant seat (or lay her down in the infant tub or changing table for that matter). A few friends told me that switching to the convertible seat will help because they can sit up (which is what she wants to do). I'm researching car seats, and it seems like the big kahuna on the market right now is the Britax Advocate. Does anyone have one? If so, what do you think? I drive a Toyota Corolla--do you think it would be too big? Is it really heavy to move between cars (my husband is deployed right now so I would have to move it myself if I choose to drive the other car). The price tag is steep, but I'm not basing my decision off of that because I saved money when I was pregnant for a convertible seat some day. I just want the best possible seat. Also, are the side cushion thingys on the Advocate effected by side curtain air bags on your car? Our Scion xB has side curtain air bags
Britax Advocate--anyone have one?
Its basically a boulevard with side impact cushions... go here for a review:



http://carseatblog.com/



If it was my only child, and they were going to be sitting in the center position - then no - I wouldn't bother. I would maybe get the boulevard or just a marathon (keep her rear facing as long as possible... this is 75% safer... and actually probably more important then the actual seat she's sitting in... she can rear face to age 2-3 easily)



There are a bunch of seats on the market now with neat features. One is the new Safety 1st AirProtect - it rear faces to 40lbs. The Graco My Ride 65 also rear faces to 40lbs.



As for it being too big - no - the corolla easily fits all the britax seats rear facing - they actually fit better then the infant buckets because you can touch the seat in front of it... you don't need as much room as you do with an infant bucket and the handle down.



I would go to www.car-seat.org - and just look at some of the postings. There are so many seats out there... surf around that site, see what other people have in corolla's, see what's out there.
Britax Advocate--anyone have one?
I have a corolla and it will fit, the front seat will be tight though. I was going to get Britax, and ended up with the Graco My ride 65, it is also made in the USA and has a 4 star safety rating and Fits fine in the car.