Friday 16 September 2011

Would you stiff your Bartender?

My friend %26quot;Lucy%26quot; does little things that she think she can get away with. One time she was at a store and without my knowledge changed the price tags on the item to reflect a much lower price. Another time we went with a group of new friends to a local restaurant for some drinks and entertainment and when the waitress asked who had the 2 beers, she wouldn't speak up (even though she was the only one drinking that kind of beer). Mind you, she's 28, but when I pointed it out later on, she started pointing out every little thing that I did that was stealing or lying and says that I have a double standard. (I ordered 5 student tickets when there were only 2 students with us.). The thing is, is I discussed this with my friend %26quot;Erin%26quot; who invited us because it bothered me so much, and she in turn was so embarassed that she decided to go pay the tab herself and apologize to the owner. I like people with good values but I also see Lucy's point of view. She says if I'm gonna walk the straight and narrow that I shouldn't be doing what I do, but I think what I do is not affecting someone directly. I feel uncomfortable stealing or lying and wasn't raised that way, but I don't think that I should be so self righteous. I've never paid for any software my entire life, but if I accidently walk out of a store wearing a hat, I'm going to go back and return it. The bartender didn't know who the tab belonged to and seemed very confused and ended up throwing it away. It was the most uncomfortable feeling. I told Lucy later how I felt about it and she said she didn't know %26quot;the rules%26quot;. She thinks I have a double standard, any comments? I think I may have lost my other friend Erin over this b/c now she doesn't want to have anything to do with Lucy and has talked to her friends about her b/c she was so upset. I feel like I shouldn't have said anything at all, but I didn't know how to handle the situation. Now I'm upset that Erin blabbed something that I confided in her. How would you handle this situation?


Would you stiff your Bartender?
I would not try to get out of paying my tab at a bar. That is very wrong



But it's the bartenders fault for not getting a credit card from the one starting a tab. At the bars here in Indy, they hold your credit card so that you cannot skip out on it. Especially in the Broadripple area, where there are open patios to the streets that would enable people to jump over the railing.



Responsiblity is important!
Would you stiff your Bartender?
Hey it's simple.

You want something that's not yours, you pay for it.

You change the price tags, infringe the copyright of someone who has worked their butt off to make a buck, you're stealing.

Be honest and don't hang out with thieves.